India’s Independence Day- observed on August 15th every year holds an impeccable history within itself. With everybody set to celebrate 71st Independence Day of India this year, the top B-school of Gurugram has listed some interesting facts for you that one must know about Independent India-
1. The date 15th August was chosen by Lord Mountbatten, who was the last Viceroy and First Governor General of India. It was the same date in 1945 when Japan surrendered to the Allied Forces at the end of World War II.
2. It is often said that our National flag was first hoisted on August 15th, 1947 but this is not true. It was hoisted for the first time on August 7th, 1906 at the Parsee Bagan Square in Calcutta. The flag then consisted of red, yellow and green horizontal strips with the top strip of red color that had eight lotuses in a row while the green strip consisting of white sun on the left and a white crescent moon and star on the right side. Even after this, our flag had undergone several changes until the tricolor with Ashok Chakra finally being adopted on 22nd July, 1947.
3. The only material that can be used for making flag is Khadi, by law. Flying a flag made of any other material is punishable under law with three years of imprisonment and a fine.
4. There have been various adaptations of our flag and Mahatma Gandhi is often accredited for it. But in reality, it was Pingali Venkavya, a freedom fighter who came up with its idea.
5. India became independent on August 15th, 1947 but got its National Anthem in 1950. It was written by Rabindra Nath Tagore in1911 but was not officially adopted till 1950.